Artistic Bonsai Circle logo Artistic Bonsai Circle
Home | Accents | Techniques | Links | New | Bonsai displays | Galleries | Contact
Case history - 16
Growth extensions that were cut off  

This picture shows the tree after scissor pruning and the adjacent picture illustrates the amount of new growth extensions that were removed.

 
The tree was maintained and fed for the remainder of the year and was over-wintered in the conservatory from the end of December where it also receives enhanced day-lighting from a 400 watt grow light for 3 hours a day from midday on.
 

Towards the end of April 2013 I re-applied some lime sulphur/black ink mix to the deadwood elements of the tree which are now quite weathered.

 
View of yellowing needle tips   Close up of yellowingneedles

During May it was noticed that there was quite a few yellowing needle tips in various areas of the tree as can be seen in the adjacent photos. There were some smaller branches that were obviously not going to recover so they were removed. Generally there were still plenty of healthy buds on the tree though it did not respond in the usual prolific manor as far as new growth was concerned.
The tree was fed during the growing season with a mixture of feeds including Bio Gold and Naruko as well as liquid feeds such as Maxi Crop and Miracle Gro (Miracid).

     
During the second week of September 2013 the tree was taken to a Classical Bonsai Circle workshop at Dan Barton’s where it was worked on during the day scissor pruning back this years growth extensions, which did eventually come. Some refinement wiring of some of the foliage pads was also carried out.   Front view of tree after trimming
     
The following weekend to the Classical Bonsai Circle workshop the tree was taken to our Artistic Bonsai Circle meeting where a mini photo studio was set up in the hall and the tree photographed with a view to perhaps putting it forward for next years Noelanders Trophy show in Belgium.  
 

I have also been thinking of changing the pot that the tree is currently in and has been since 2001. Due to the increased girth of the trunk and root ball density watering the tree can prove to be a problem. Also I have had some comments from other group members that the tree would look better in a larger more landscape image pot.
During our November Artistic Bonsai Circle group meeting I reduced the level of the surface roots/compost using a small Japanese sickle as it was getting too high above the pot rim and water was just running off the surface during watering. I also made a series of deep holes into the root ball using a 3mm diameter spike to aid water and air getting into the root ball. At the same time I cleaned up the deadwood areas with a wire brush and applied a new lime sulphur/black ink mix.

The tree was photographed against a plain background and a new oval pot I had purchased from Dai Ichi bonsai during the year was also photographed so that a photo montage could be done to see how the tree would look in the new pot.
 

View of tree and pot

  View of tree in proposed new pot
These photos show the tree in its current pot and the photo montage of the tree in the proposed oval pot.
 
Page No. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12][13] [14]
[15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28]
[29] [30] [31]
Click on any image for a larger image.
 
Previous tree | Evergreen gallery | Tree details | Case history | Next tree
Copyright © 2005-2018 - Artistic Bonsai Circle