Artistic Bonsai Circle logo Artistic Bonsai Circle
Home | Accents | Techniques | Links | New | Bonsai displays | Galleries | Contact
Case history - 29

It’s now the first week in April 2017, the tree was last re-potted into its current oval pot back in March 2014 and in that time it is evident that quite a bit of root development has taken place since the tree had the extra space to grow in.

There is also a lot of roots which have made themselves visible on the surface as can be seen in the adjacent photo. I think a lot of these have formed due to the use of a black plastic “rain coat” which I have on the top of the pot quite often during prolonged wet weather in order to control the amount of water.  
If the roots start to rise up they can become surface bound as the black plastic blocks the sunlight that would normally be present at the surface and prevent the roots from growing up out of the surface of the compost. These roots need to be removed as they are unsightly. Also the root ball needs to be reduced in depth to sit lower in the pot. I did not want to do this when the tree was first re-potted into this oval pot from its original smaller but deeper square pot as I did not want to stress the tree too much by reducing the root ball depth that much. Now that the root ball has filled the larger volume of the current oval pot there should be no problem with reducing the depth of the root ball.
     

The compost around the perimeter of the pot was channelled out using a re-potting sickle and root hook to release the root ball from the pot.

  Front view of tree after trimming
     
 

Once the tree was released from the pot the extent of the root ball growth over the 3 years was fully evident with young root tips visible on the base of the root ball.

 

Close up of the deadwood

 
The existing root ball was “opened up” using a root hook and a lot of the existing compost from around the perimeter teased out together with that from the base as well.
 

The excess roots were trimmed back from around the perimeter and around 50mm taken off the base to produce a reduced depth and plan area root ball.

 
     
 
The tree with now reduced root ball was placed in the existing pot on a new drainage base layer of large sieved Akadama and Kiryu and tied in with 2.5mm aluminium tie wires then new compost was worked in around the root ball.
 
Page No. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12][13] [14]
[15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28]
[29] [30] [31]
Click on any image for a larger image.
 
Previous tree | Evergreen gallery | Tree details | Case history | Next tree
Copyright © 2005-2018 - Artistic Bonsai Circle